I really feared for the Bolivar Lighthouse when it looked like Hurricane Rita was heading our way. I haven't been in the area in a couple of years, but, at that time, I went on the property to try to find the owners. No one was home but I managed to look around - trespassing, of course. The lighthouse itself, to my uneducated eye, has a lot of structural damage. I managed to look in through a small window and could see debris where something inside has collapsed. Fortunately, the keeper's house is in excellent condition - I've since learned that it is no longer a weekend home but a permanent residence for the people who own it. Another branch of the family supposedly owns the assistant keeper's house and that is sorely neglected. The oil house building also seems to have structural damage - huge crack running from top to bottom of one brick wall, among other problems. I still have hopes that, someday, the owners will do something to restore this wonderful jewel of the Texas Gulf Coast.

beachcomber