LighthouseKeepers.com

Introducing 'Avatars'

Posted By: Webmaster

Introducing 'Avatars' - 07/31/02 08:23 AM

The new forum software allows for the use of Avatars - graphic images which can serve as a personal 'logo' and which will appear below your name when you post.

The software allows me to limit those who can have Avatars based on their 'level' - i.e Administrators, Cruise Directors, Wackos, etc.

Right now the permission is sent to 'Administrators' (Known in these parts as 'Saints'.)

The software comes with a few cheesy images (like the one I picked at left) - 15 in total from which to choose, but you can also post your own image as an avatar.

This can be an actual photo or a non-copyrighted image.

You will be able create your own Avatar if you have the graphics program. Avatars are limited to 48 pixels by 48 pixels.

You select your Avatar through your profile. Saints please give it a try and in a week or so, we'll open it up to WACKOs.

Comments from all are welcome as to this feature.
Posted By: rscroope

Re: Introducing 'Avatars' - 07/31/02 01:59 PM

I like you as the SPHINX the best, John!
Posted By: WackoPaul

Re: Introducing 'Avatars' - 07/31/02 03:45 PM

To still keep the need for funds to help Block Island's Southeast Lighthouse restoration fresh in Wacko's minds...
Posted By: SThompson

Re: Introducing 'Avatars' - 07/31/02 04:45 PM

Looks good to me. It beats the old trick of placing a link to an image in your location line.

Re: Introducing 'Avatars' - 07/31/02 05:36 PM

Looking good Saints! If I only had an Avatar... lol cool

Re: Introducing 'Avatars' - 07/31/02 06:53 PM

OK, Bob's wish is my command. Cruise Directors now are checked to permit Avatars. Let's see how fast he gets his Avatar installed...

Re: Introducing 'Avatars' - 07/31/02 07:18 PM

I've increased the size permitted for Avatars to 75x75 pixels. The system forces whatever image you choose to this size, but if you use or create a much larger image, it will take longer to load and slow down dial-up user's display.

Is this new size TOO BIG for anyone?

Re: Introducing 'Avatars' - 07/31/02 07:22 PM

By doing that John you just messed up Sean's and my images... it caused our images to try and expand to that size and there by pixelating..
Please change it back the former size is more than big enough! It was .667 inches X .667 inches

Re: Introducing 'Avatars' - 07/31/02 07:58 PM

Just for the time being, and a quick response!
Will work on an original
thanks John,
Bob
cool smile
Posted By: Rod Watson

Re: Introducing 'Avatars' - 07/31/02 08:02 PM

Pretty neat stuff. You may want to have people keep it below 5000 Bytes though, or even smaller. At long 50 post threads, that will slow down loading for those slower modems quite abit. Even at 5000 Bytes each, it would add 250Kb to a long thread, and would be equivalent to adding approx. 5-7 full photos that are normally posted on the Forums to the thread.

If you don't restrict it, some could have images as large as 50Kb or more, if they first don't pre-shrink them to proper size at their own source before linking to them. Alot of people may not realize that even though the images look small here, if they are linking to a larger image from their own source, it is equivalent to loading their full size image here too!

Re: Introducing 'Avatars' - 07/31/02 09:14 PM

And Now - TaDa!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted By: mombo

Re: Introducing 'Avatars' - 07/31/02 10:14 PM

Let's try this.
Posted By: Bob M

Re: Introducing 'Avatars' - 07/31/02 11:37 PM

Help! How do I do the avatar thing? Do I store my 48 x 48 pixel image at my AOL FTP Space and then type in a regular link to it?

smile Bob smile

(From the world of computer illiterates)

Re: Introducing 'Avatars' - 08/01/02 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob M:
Help! How do I do the avatar thing? Do I store my 48 x 48 pixel image at my AOL FTP Space and then type in a regular link to it?

smile Bob smile

(From the world of computer illiterates)
Looks like Chipper figured it out for you, Bob...

Re: Introducing 'Avatars' - 08/01/02 01:10 AM

Except that at 48 X 48 it now is forced to try and be bigger thus pixelating..

Re: Introducing 'Avatars' - 08/01/02 01:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by WackoPaul:
By doing that John you just messed up Sean's and my images... it caused our images to try and expand to that size and there by pixelating..
Please change it back the former size is more than big enough! It was .667 inches X .667 inches
OK, St. Paul. You got it!

Re: Introducing 'Avatars' - 08/01/02 02:30 AM

Thanks, John, as Rod points out it will also help in the pages loading up with the smaller files...

plus Chipper looks better now!!!

Re: Introducing 'Avatars' - 08/01/02 05:54 AM

The Avatars seem to be going so well so I've opened it up to WACKOs too. Let's see what you've got WACKOs.
Posted By: JTimothyA

Re: Introducing 'Avatars' - 08/01/02 06:25 AM

Quote:
You may want to have people keep it below 5000 Bytes though, or even smaller. At long 50 post threads, that will slow down loading for those slower modems quite abit. Even at 5000 Bytes each, it would add 250Kb to a long thread, and would be equivalent to adding approx. 5-7 full photos that are normally posted on the Forums to the thread.
Let me cast a vote for an avatar size of 75x75 pixels.

1. Ok, Paul and Sean might need to make some adjustments - but thats a one shot deal and they're bigtime digerati boys who can handle it. And Paul has a Mac... :-)

2. The notion that a long 50 msg. thread would increase the overall msg size by 250k is slightly misleading. This would be true if:
a) it was the first post a user looked at when he came to the forums, and
b) every message in it was from a different person and all had avatars.
Neither of these conditions are very likely.

3. And even if the condition in #2 did somehow obtain, then there would be no subsequent 'penalty' to a person. Why? Because browsers cache images - if you read a page with someone's avatar on it, after the initial reading your browser will pull the image from local cache and not download it, until you choose to clean out your cache - something most folks rarely do.

4. A 48x48 pixel avatar is very very small in comparison to what one finds on most sites that allow avatars (and most of which have considerably higher traffic than this site).

5. A 75x75 pixel avatar offers more possibilities for interesting and detailed avatars because it holds more information. Folks who wish to create their own avatars will have a much easier time with a slightly larger space than with 48x48.

6. The difference in size between 48x48 and 75x75 is not much. I downloaded Paul's avatar and used photoshop to change it to 75x75 - the image increased in size from 4k to 5k. I changed my own and it increased from 3k to 4k.

I think 75x75 would do just fine.

It's apodictic,
Tim
Posted By: DANIEL

Re: Introducing 'Avatars' - 08/01/02 01:16 PM

cool
Posted By: Pharologst

Re: Introducing 'Avatars' - 08/01/02 04:15 PM

Hey Guys what am I doing wrong!!!!
I tried it four times per the following:

1)added my url(gif)in Avatar images
2)it accepted it and showed it in the Select this window
3)I clicked on Select this
4) It then showed it in the window of MY Profile
5) Clicked on UPDATE PROFILE

In at least four tries NOTHING!!
confused confused confused confused
Posted By: MtnHkr

Re: Introducing 'Avatars' - 08/01/02 05:43 PM

Same at above. Can't figure it out. Can you?

Bert

Re: Introducing 'Avatars' - 08/01/02 05:44 PM

Tim, I am a lot more interested in the images and words that people post in a thread than an Avatar...

Re: Introducing 'Avatars' - 08/01/02 05:44 PM

Tried a new post here and it made a liar out of me. OH WELL!

Bert

Re: Introducing 'Avatars' - 08/01/02 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pharologst:
Hey Guys what am I doing wrong!!!!

Where is the avatar you created? You have to upload it somewhere on the net. Then the URL will point to it.

Re: Introducing 'Avatars' - 08/01/02 07:43 PM

Hi JOhn,

Followed your instructions and "IT WORKS"! I like this little add on to the forums. Always something interesting to see, read or do here!

Bert wink

Re: Introducing 'Avatars' - 08/01/02 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JChidester:
Quote:
Originally posted by Pharologst:
[b]Hey Guys what am I doing wrong!!!!

Where is the avatar you created? You have to upload it somewhere on the net. Then the URL will point to it.[/b]
The pic (bmp)is on the net (see 2 & 4 above, it did pick it up and use it)). It worked one time and then quit!!! Here it
is:
[img]http://webworkz.com/~pharologst/NCFlag.bmp[/img]

STILL confused confused

Re: Introducing 'Avatars' - 08/01/02 10:44 PM

bmp is not one of the 3 formats that the program recognizes at this time...

It needs to be either a gif, jpg or png not a bmp
Posted By: Shirin

Re: Introducing 'Avatars' - 08/02/02 12:02 AM

Interesting addition to everyone's profile. It will be interesting to see how creative people get with their avatars.

shirin
Posted By: DANIEL

Re: Introducing 'Avatars' - 08/02/02 12:23 AM

John
I think it would be neat if you loaded all the pictures of the Lighthouses that H.L. has produced. Then each Forum user could pick the Lighthouse that is closest to them or their favorite. Then we could identify the lighthouse with the forum user.

Re: Introducing 'Avatars' - 08/02/02 01:39 AM

THANKS PAUL, It works !
Posted By: HarbourFan

Re: Introducing 'Avatars' - 08/02/02 03:00 AM

I can't beleive I got it right on the first try! smile

Amanda

Re: Introducing 'Avatars' - 08/02/02 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Daniel:
John
I think it would be neat if you loaded all the pictures of the Lighthouses that H.L. has produced. Then each Forum user could pick the Lighthouse that is closest to them or their favorite. Then we could identify the lighthouse with the forum user.
If anyone will email Paul or I and let us know which HL you want to use, one of us will set up the necessary image and email you back the link.

(How's that for volunteering you for yet another job, Paul?)

Re: Introducing 'Avatars' - 08/02/02 03:31 AM

No problem, it would be my pleasure... that's why I made the Block Island image available for others to use by including it with the other sample images...

wackopaul@bvimpact.com

Nice choice of lighthouse Amanda...

Posted By: eskilady

Re: Introducing 'Avatars' - 08/02/02 04:44 AM

Maybe I should have read this topic first before trying it out on my own. I am anxious to make "Wacko" and get my own "avatar"!!

Eskilady
Posted By: Jim Chesher

Re: Introducing 'Avatars' - 08/02/02 05:07 AM

I just set up my avatar. Does anyone know why it appears on some previous posts but not on all? Doesn't seem to be date related. I just randomly check some of my previous posts and some had it and some didn't. Any ideas? wink

Re: Introducing 'Avatars' - 08/02/02 05:10 AM

Jim - you might try refreshing pages on which your Avatar don't show up.

Eskilady- congratulations - you've made WACKO! (Did we mention the Krispie Kremes?)
Posted By: ape

Re: Introducing 'Avatars' - 08/02/02 05:11 AM

We too are anxious to reach the "wacko" level so we can post our avatar!

John & Mary eek

Re: Introducing 'Avatars' - 08/02/02 09:13 PM

I've created about 20 lighthouse Avatars from which you can choose. Simply go to "my profile", then choose "View/Update Profile", scroll down to the Avatar section and click on "Set a new Avatar".

Of course, your own custom Avatar can also be created.

P.S. You have to know which lighthouse it is in order to choose it. (There will be a quiz.)

<-- My latest is of Tinicum Rear Range Lighthouse in Paulson, NJ. Photographed on a NJ tour before the 2001 Reunion.
Posted By: Randy Kremer

Re: Introducing 'Avatars' - 08/03/02 03:59 AM

Great new choices John! How about Split Rock????
Posted By: Linda Ann

Re: Introducing 'Avatars' - 08/03/02 04:06 AM

I like the new little pictures!! I set one up for myself - lets see if it works.
Posted By: Linda Ann

Re: Introducing 'Avatars' - 08/03/02 04:07 AM

It worked!!! This is great!!
Posted By: Beaconfollower

Re: Introducing 'Avatars' - 08/03/02 04:32 AM

I gave it a try, I think it rather favors me!

wink

Re: Introducing 'Avatars' - 08/03/02 04:18 PM

I've loaded up another dozen lighthouse avatars, including a few photos of Harbour Lights pieces.

Gallery photographers, please let me know if you would permit your photos to be used as avatars.

If you have a special request for a lighthouse avatar, I can try to get it for you.

Re: Introducing 'Avatars' - 08/03/02 11:49 PM

I believe that these Avatars have taken off very nicely. Seems to be well received. I know I enjoy them and like to see the creativity that froum members show in their choices.

Bert wink

Re: Introducing 'Avatars' - 08/04/02 01:48 AM

LOL. A real understatement, Bert! I'm sure there are a few people out there who are annoyed by them, though.

Re: Introducing 'Avatars' - 08/04/02 07:14 AM

Six more avatars from Jakers photos in his Gallery. 5 Great Lakes lighthouses + Boca Grande Rear Range.

Enjoy and thanks, Jakers.
Posted By: Bud Schrader

Re: Introducing 'Avatars' - 08/05/02 02:15 AM

can I do this?
Posted By: Bud Schrader

Re: Introducing 'Avatars' - 08/05/02 03:08 AM

John, thanks for the chance to "personalize" our posts- I haven't had the time nor do I have the savvy to do the cute graphic things as many do. Maybe someday? Thanks!
Posted By: MelJB

Re: Introducing 'Avatars' - 08/06/02 06:18 AM

Like Bud, I don't understand all the techy stuff to create my own avatar. Thanks John for making it easy for me to join in the fun smile
© 2024 Collector Forums