LighthouseKeepers.com

Post Count Question

Posted By: JnJpriest

Post Count Question - 07/10/98 07:17 PM

Tim,

Just wondering, being new at forums, why does the "posts" # not match up with the actual # of posts on the subject. For example, "Lighthouses I would like to see HL make" shows 66 posts on the initial page, but when you go there, it has 9. I am assuming that the initial post is 0, but that is not close to 66. We are not yet, JAVA enabled, so are we missing something? I get now bulbs either!

Thanks,

JnJpriest
Posted By: Rod Watson

Re: Post Count Question - 07/10/98 08:14 PM

Check the scroll bar at the top right when entering each section of the forum (not on a specific thread). It may say "show posts of last 20 days" which is default, I believe. Use the scroll bar for a different setting. I'm sure you are only showing the posts of a particular period of time.

Once you have Java up and running and allow for "cookies", you can set your personal preferences from the "prefs" button.

-RodW

[This message has been edited by Rod Watson.]
Posted By: Vermonter

Re: Post Count Question - 07/10/98 08:33 PM

If I might offer a modest explanation. The number of posts listed next to a forum reflects the total number of posts, including reply posts, posted on that forum. (Somebody should hit me with a "post" for using that word so many times in the same sentence!) For example: The Rosemont Forum says there are 32 posts. There are - 2 originals and 30 replies. The same is true of other forums. As suggested, change the number of days you want to view and you'll see how the totals also change on the forum page itself - reflecting the totals on the main menu page. (does any of that make any sense to anyone?)

I think what I just said (or tried to say) was that the main menu page reflects the number of messages (originals and replies) posted since Day 1. When you go to the actual forum page, you are only seeing the number of posts (original and replies) for the default which is usually 20 days. You can change that and bring back other messages that have dropped off the list when their "15 minutes of fame" (or 20 days of posting) was past.

Paul F. - VTer
^^^^^
@ @

[This message has been edited by Vermonter.]
Posted By: JTimothyA

Re: Post Count Question - 07/10/98 11:41 PM

Ah, yep.... what they said.

Wrt lightbulbs, make sure you turn on 'cookies' if your browser supports them. These are little tags that the lighthouse web site software stores on your computer to help it and you keep track of who you are and whats going on. There's no real tie between Java and cookies so even if you're not Java enabled you may be able to control cookies.

Fwiw, both Microsoft and Netscape offer free upgrades to their respective browsers. Current version for Netscape is 4.05, for Microsoft's Internet Explorer its 4.01.

If you know, kindly say what browser you're using, and what version of the browser software. Thanks.

Rgds,
__
/im [Thats all fresnel]
Posted By: JnJpriest

Re: Post Count Question - 07/12/98 09:18 PM

Thanks all for the help! I can fix the post counts now. As far as the "browser", we are still using AOL's. We have tried several times to load IE. Both from a CD and also from the download from their web site. Even talked to St. John for about an hour one night trying to load it and it still didn't work! Have a friend coming over early next week to try and help.

Thanks again!

Jim & Jo
Posted By: Webmaster

Re: Post Count Question - 07/13/98 05:55 AM

The lightbulbs are still aggravating. If I go to a forum with an unread message, then post a reply, the lightbulb doesn't go out until I go back and read my OWN reply. I think the best indicator is the date/time of the last message in each forum. When was I last on? I'll check any forum with a message date/time later than that.

Re: Post Count Question - 07/13/98 06:19 AM

Enough complaints about light bulbs not work - let's turn this duty over the the US Lighthouse Keepers Service!!! What kind of place are we running here??

Re: Post Count Question - 07/13/98 08:15 PM

I was wondering why there were no comments about the 'new lights' that tell you which forums have unseen messages. Then I went online with another PC.

Now I see you will have to purge your internet cache if you still see lightbulbs. When you purge the cache, you'll find the bulb duty has been turned over to the US Lighthouse Keepers Service!

John
Posted By: Rod Watson

Re: Post Count Question - 07/13/98 08:27 PM

I noticed, John.....quite clever! LOL

-RodW
Posted By: Bob St Clair

Re: Post Count Question - 07/13/98 08:53 PM

John,

Wanted to drop line earlier, got busy.
New lights real attraction to this site.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Post Count Question - 07/13/98 09:09 PM

John,
We think the US Lighthouse Keepers Service is doing a great job . . . love the new lighthouses. We were going to say something earlier but thought maybe they'd been there a while and with all the problems we've had with our browser, we just hadn't been able to see them.

Re: Post Count Question - 07/14/98 01:19 AM

If you are not seeing these images when you first visit the forum, you need to purge your cache. (Not purge your cash - our favorite collectible already does that for us).

[This message has been edited by JChidester.]
Posted By: Polly

Re: Post Count Question - 07/14/98 06:52 AM

Hey John,

Great job dispensing of those nasty light bulbs. Now these new lighthouse icons . . . who cares if they're lit or not. They are lighthouses and that's all that matters!

It just gets better!

Polly

Re: Post Count Question - 07/14/98 01:04 PM

The US Lighthouse Keepers Service has come through as we knew they would!

The beacons tell the story when you first enter the forums. If the lamp is lit, there are messages you haven't read. When you've checked all the unread messages, go back to the main Forum page and click on the "Collector Forums" logo top left. The page will refresh and the beacon lights will have been extinguished.

John
Posted By: FredKuhl

Re: Post Count Question - 07/15/98 03:17 PM

John,

As soon as I read my first thread, all beacons are extinguished. Then I have to go by date and time

Also if I edit or post a reply, I may not see it for several hours.

God Bless Mommy and Daddy, and especially, God Bless AOL!

[This message has been edited by FredKuhl.]
© 2024 Collector Forums