LighthouseKeepers.com

Awaiting Better Photos...

Posted By: Webmaster

Awaiting Better Photos... - 01/01/06 01:40 AM

We've receive a few photos of the paint sample, but we're awaiting a better set of photos showing more clearly some of the fantastic details on the Erie Land Light.

I hope to have the new photos in the next couple of days, but will post this one as a 'teaser' until we get the better ones.

Presenting HL692 Erie Land Light PA

Got your order in? Want to order more? Click Here

BTW The ELL pin issue has been cleared up. The pins will be on the way to Dave this week. Those who pre-paid in full for their pieces will find the pin(s) included with their order for the HL692 when it is shipped to you - probably in February.

Additional pins will be able to be ordered once the pins are in Dave's hands.
Posted By: seagirt

Re: Awaiting Better Photos... - 01/01/06 02:08 AM

Wow...it's like the most beautiful Harbour Light I've ever seen!

Can't wait to get mine...when I get home, I have to clear a space for it...it's looking great! smile
Posted By: beachcomber

Re: Awaiting Better Photos... - 01/01/06 03:10 AM

Best "teaser" I've ever seen!! It is really beautiful - can't wait for it to ship. John, I do believe you are going to make it with time to spare.
Posted By: Webmaster

Re: Awaiting Better Photos... - 01/01/06 05:36 AM

I don't think I ever revealed what software Harry Hine uses to create the artwork that the sculptors follow...

Would you believe Microsoft WORD? Seems he just got proficient at drawing line art within Word and has stuck with it.
Posted By: MelJB

Re: Awaiting Better Photos... - 01/01/06 06:05 AM

Paint sample looks great imo smile

I really find it amazing that Harry uses Word to produce his drawings!

Re: Awaiting Better Photos... - 01/01/06 06:31 AM

Unbelievable; the man is so incredibly talented!
Posted By: catzb1

Re: Awaiting Better Photos... - 01/01/06 02:15 PM

It looks great...I can't wait to get it home. I'm
not sure about wether or not I will be collecting any more HL's, but I am sure I want this one!

Cathy
Posted By: ericlighthouse

Re: Awaiting Better Photos... - 01/01/06 02:30 PM

Microsoft Word! Did not know you could draw using that program. Would have never guessed it.

Picture looks great. laugh

Re: Awaiting Better Photos... - 01/01/06 07:23 PM

WOW...Word?! I can't even come CLOSE to mastering that part of the programme - I just use Visio for all my drawing (much better, since my drawings are usually scaled pictures of Land Rover expedition vehicles or my fantasy ocean liner, the NAUSET...made me realise that my small, economy cabins were the equivalent of suites on many ships, but the hallway to get to them was only 3 feet wide).

I saw what looked like "MS Style" lines, which led me to think Visio. I thought it might be a little more "downmarket" - maybe Publisher - but never Word! eek
Posted By: eastpoint

Re: Awaiting Better Photos... - 01/02/06 04:17 PM

John

Thanks for the teaser. cool Can't wait till the real thing arrives. Glad to hear that the pin issue has been resolved. Now I have to get either a new hat (which has my pins attached now) or come up with a different way to wear them.
smile

Hank
Posted By: AZlightkeeper

Re: Awaiting Better Photos... - 01/06/06 03:54 AM

The benefits of attending a chat

[img]http://www.lighthouse-events.com/forums/ell_picture.bmp[/img]

Re: Awaiting Better Photos... - 01/06/06 04:07 AM

Just looked at the pic Jim posted...and just one thing to say...

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE tell me that that stupid, stupid, stupid looking flag is removable. The rest of the piece is absolutely INCREDIBLE...that one element just detracts from the whole thing. frown

If I could take it out, than this would, by ALL means, be a 100% incredible piece. With it, it's about 90%...but it will be a lot better without it.
Posted By: SDudley

Re: Awaiting Better Photos... - 01/06/06 06:07 AM

I agree that flagpole and flag need to go or at least be able to be removed.
Posted By: flacoastie

Re: Awaiting Better Photos... - 01/06/06 06:34 AM

Greg - Your wording about OUR flag being stupid is not the best way to describe what many of us have fought for and many have died for. You might consider a rewrite and just say "that you don't really care for the way Harbour Lights replicated the flag and hope that it is removable." This is my opinion only.

Re: Awaiting Better Photos... - 01/06/06 07:23 AM

In all fairness to Greg, I am sure that he was strictly referring to the paper flag on the model. He did not say that OUR flag was stupid. I don't believe any of us would be disrespectful to our real flag.
Posted By: Bob M

Re: Awaiting Better Photos... - 01/06/06 02:54 PM

Greg is not insulting the flag of our country but rather the plastic replica that Harbour Lights is currently offering with this sculpture. This cheap looking replica does not enhance the beauty of this very special piece. If the piece comes through with a removable flag, I will not choose to display it in that form.

We still love ya, Greg!

smile Bob smile
Posted By: Cana Fan

Re: Awaiting Better Photos... - 01/06/06 03:54 PM

If I recall correctly, we asked Harry to make the flag removable, and at the time he said no problem, so I suspect those that don't wan't it can take it off. I'm sure we can confirm that with Harry.

Mike
Posted By: rscroope

Re: Awaiting Better Photos... - 01/06/06 04:09 PM

Can't the flag be made of a cloth material?
Bob

ps thanks Jim

Re: Awaiting Better Photos... - 01/06/06 06:36 PM

Greg - I now realize what you were trying to say and just took it the wrong way. I get real defensive when people talk about OUR flag. I think it is a flash back to Viet Nam and all the flag burning that was going on. I appologize to you Greg for what I said last night.

Re: Awaiting Better Photos... - 01/06/06 10:07 PM

Absolutely fine, Rich...I completely understand. No hard feelings...I actually didn't read the interim posts until I just got home, and I saw your apology before I even knew what you were apologisising for. smile

Re: Awaiting Better Photos... - 01/06/06 10:21 PM

I prefer to be able to display the flag but I have suggested before that they make one with at least a drape in it. We all love to see our flag displayed at the lighthouses we visit, and it would be so nice to have a proper replica on our lighthouse models. The current one cheapens the lighthouse AND the flag.
Posted By: ericlighthouse

Re: Awaiting Better Photos... - 01/07/06 07:20 AM

According to the Chat this week, the FLAG can be removed, both by choice or for shipping/storage. cool

Re: Awaiting Better Photos... - 01/07/06 07:25 AM

Very good news, Eric. I don't suppose they have improved it so that we CAN display it?
Posted By: SDudley

Re: Awaiting Better Photos... - 01/07/06 02:38 PM

Now, that is good news Eric. I know how I will be displaying mine.

Re: Awaiting Better Photos... - 01/07/06 02:58 PM

In our planning for the ELL we discussed the flag versus no flag situation. This is where we came up with the idea to have a removeable flag. The members that want the flag can have it and for those that prefer no flag, they can have it their way. The ELL will truly be a "members" piece.
Posted By: fra02441

Re: Awaiting Better Photos... - 01/08/06 12:42 AM

It is realy Beautiful. I can't wait to get it. I agree that the flag is not as nice as the lighthouse. If you remove the flag wouldn't there be a square hole that would be seen?

Re: Awaiting Better Photos... - 01/08/06 01:09 AM

There would be a small hole the diameter of the flag pole in the middle of the concrete(simulated) footer. If you were looking right at the place where the flag is supposed to be at you would see the hole but displayed at or above eyelevel it would not be noticeable.

Re: Awaiting Better Photos... - 01/08/06 03:19 PM

Thanks for clearig that up for me smile
Posted By: Bob Ott

Re: Awaiting Better Photos... - 01/08/06 07:54 PM

Quote:
If you remove the flag wouldn't there be a square hole that would be seen?
Fran,

What's a square hole ? Sorry, I just couldn't resist. Maybe sort of like a jumbo shrimp. laugh

bobo

Re: Awaiting Better Photos... - 01/09/06 02:07 AM

Ok Bob you got me. I could never get that square peg in the round hole. You know the toddlers toy. It ruined me for life. That was before they made computer toys for the very young. laugh I quess I'm tired you know sewing squares. smile laugh :p cool
Posted By: Bob Ott

Re: Awaiting Better Photos... - 01/09/06 02:14 AM

Yes Fran,

I vividly remember that "square peg/round hole" toddlers' game. As I remember, it also had triangles, moons and stars.

The newest generation will never know what they are missing.

bobo
Posted By: Bigbird

Re: Awaiting Better Photos... - 01/09/06 02:58 PM

...and a hammer to "make" it fit; at least the ones I saw.

Steve
Posted By: MrsTLC

Re: Awaiting Better Photos... - 01/09/06 10:31 PM

They do still have this toy...check this out :rolleyes:
Shape Toy No mention of the hammer Steve.
Boy have we gotten off the main topic here or what eek
Posted By: Bigbird

Re: Awaiting Better Photos... - 01/10/06 12:32 AM

Will keep this short as the captain steers us back on course, but I believe my generation was supposed to be taught "it don't work, make it work; if it don't fit...force it"; now this generation of "everybody wins and no one loses,... no letter grade just pass and fail", they probably have toys with morphing holes so no matter what shape you put in where, it'll fit!! :rolleyes: wink

Steve
Posted By: Cana Fan

Re: Awaiting Better Photos... - 01/10/06 12:56 AM

The saying in our business goes;
"Beat it to fit, paint it to match"

Which is exacly what it looks the they did to the Cheboygan Crib lights

Which is a segway back to original topic.

Mike
Posted By: RIP Puls

Re: Awaiting Better Photos... - 01/13/06 04:19 PM

DON,T FORCE IT!! USE A BIGGER HAMMER.
Posted By: Rock

Re: Awaiting Better Photos... - 01/13/06 05:24 PM

How about NO FLAG PERIOD! They are more trouble than they're worth...
© 2024 Collector Forums