LighthouseKeepers.com

Great Fog Signal Buildings of the World

Posted By: JTimothyA

Great Fog Signal Buildings of the World - 05/15/98 07:02 AM

As aids to navigation, the fog signals is the poor step-child of the lighthouse. They deserve more respect. What better way than a new line from HL. Foggers of the World Unite!

Besides, they might sell better than skipjacks... ;->
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Great Fog Signal Buildings of the World - 05/16/98 04:33 PM

I agree with Tim, a line of fog signal buildings from HL is long over due. Sure the fog signal building is been under rated and so has the oil house but these two buildings are an important key to operating a well run lighthouse. Location is also extremely important in good fog signal building placement, take for instance Tim's location on a high bluff in Madison,Wi. he is able to warn ships on western lake Michigan and the tug boats pushing the barges up and down the mighty Mississippi river of fog. As an apprentice fog signal cranker to Tim, my hat is off to Tim and all the other fog signal crankers across this great land ( and water )

Re: Great Fog Signal Buildings of the World - 05/18/98 04:03 AM

Hey Mark,

Whattya make of this fella what wants Harbour Lights to build a giant Troll in the Chesapeake? Is this like that Colussus at Rhodes?

Trolls are pretty scary - I'm not sure they should do it.

Rgds,
__
/im
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Great Fog Signal Buildings of the World - 05/19/98 03:25 AM

Now whats this I am hearing about a seven foot iron troll ? if it is the beast I am thinking of it is simmilar to the big foot or the Yetti . Generaly it is spotted in northern Minnesota in the iron ranges hence the name "Iron Troll". I had not heard that it had migrated as far south as the Chesapeake area, but many people head south for the colder winter months so why not the Iron Troll ?

P.S. I see in the HL event calandar the Mr. Iron Troll will be signing event pieces Aug 29th in Brooklyn park,Mn at Robin Lee's Hallmark 2-4pm. Bill Younger will also be there.

Re: Great Fog Signal Buildings of the World - 05/19/98 03:36 AM

>>I see in the HL event calandar the Mr. Iron Troll will be signing event pieces Aug 29th in Brooklyn

I wonder if he'll have Babe the Blue Gopher with 'im?

>>as far south as the Chesapeake area,

Yep - that must be the Seven Foot Troll Light what they's talking about.

Rgds,
__
/im (that'll do gopher, that'll do)
Posted By: Jodster

Re: Great Fog Signal Buildings of the World - 05/20/98 05:03 AM

Giant Troll in the Chesapeake - What the heck are you guys talking about?

Re: Great Fog Signal Buildings of the World - 05/22/98 05:34 AM

>>Giant Troll in the Chesapeake - What the heck are you guys talking about?

Oops - turns out it was the Seven Foot *Knoll* light.

Rgds,
__
/im [...nevermind :*) ]
Posted By: Webmaster

Re: Great Fog Signal Buildings of the World - 05/22/98 06:11 AM

ROTFL - Is it time to close this thread?

Re: Great Fog Signal Buildings of the World - 05/22/98 03:05 PM

Close this thread? Ha Ha Ha. If you've made it this far you're probably looking for the exit.

A Panda walks into a bar, sits down on a bar stool and orders a Cobb Salad.

The salad is served and the Panda eats slowly, obviously relishing each tasty morsel.

The Panda then gets up off his bar stool, pulls out a gun, shoots the bartender and starts to walk out the door.

The cook, hearing a shot, rushes out. "Hey - you just shot the bartender. You can't do that. Where do you think you're going? Who are you?"

The Panda turns toward the cook with a growly look - "I'm a Panda, see. That's P-A-N-D-A. You wanna know more? Look it up." The Panda proceeds to walk out the door.

The cook is astonished. He opens a dictionary to the page listing Panda. Here is what he finds:

Panda, n. (Pan de) A large black and white mammal indigenous to China. Resembling a bear but a actually a member of the raccoon family. Lives close to ground in bamboo groves. Eats shoots and leaves.

__
/im [*Now* its time to close the thread - vbg ]

Re: Great Fog Signal Buildings of the World - 08/14/02 05:38 AM

newly reopened for business

- GFSBOTW, the opportunity is still available!
Posted By: Bob M

Re: Great Fog Signal Buildings of the World - 08/14/02 12:05 PM

I don't have the foggiest idea about the purpose of this thread. Therefore, foggetaboutit!

smile Bob smile
Posted By: mombo

Re: Great Fog Signal Buildings of the World - 08/14/02 05:56 PM

Quote:
Location is also extremely important in good fog signal building placement...
What about the privies? Should they be left off the list of significant structures of a lighthouse station?

Just substitute the word privy for fog signal building in the above quote and I'm sure you'll have to agree these necessaries deserve recognition! :rolleyes:
Posted By: LamarB

Re: Great Fog Signal Buildings of the World - 08/14/02 09:08 PM

I LIKE the idea of fog signals and I would add oil houses, too. I find them interesting and intriguing structures.

BTW Tim, when was the last time you were in a bar that had a dictionary on the premises? wink

Re: Great Fog Signal Buildings of the World - 08/15/02 04:50 AM

When I was in grad school I worked as a barkeep during the summer - we always had a dictionary handy. Course it was a university area - but I thought all bars had dictionarys - kinda like a gideon bible for scrabble players. :-)

T
Posted By: LamarB

Re: Great Fog Signal Buildings of the World - 08/15/02 08:30 PM

I guess the barrooms I frequented during my college days catered to a less sophisticated clientele. laugh
© 2024 Collector Forums