LighthouseKeepers.com

The Reedy Island Range Rear Light Station

Posted By: PFC

The Reedy Island Range Rear Light Station - 02/05/04 02:51 AM

frown Check out this story by Bob Trapani of the Delaware River and Bay Lighthouse Foundation frown

We can't allow this to happen to any more of our Historic Lighthouses!

Read this sad story about the Reedy Island Range Rear Light Station at the following link:

http://www.delawarebaylights.org/news_vanish_reedy.htm

All my best,
Paul Conlin
Acting Secretary,
ALF
Posted By: seagirt

Re: The Reedy Island Range Rear Light Station - 02/05/04 06:30 AM

Terribly sad.. frown I knew that matters were bad, but not THIS bad. We should do something. frown

If I'm not mistaken, DRBLHF has a lease to the light, right? confused
Posted By: ericlighthouse

Re: The Reedy Island Range Rear Light Station - 02/07/04 01:11 AM

It is a shame. We should really not lose anymore lighthouses. mad All are historic structures in my opinion. We must find ways to work with private owners and even government bodies. And as much as I think all lighthouses should be open to the public at least several times a year, I would still volunteer time or donate money to save a private lighthouse knowing it would stay private (but standing and not in ruins). The owner could later change their mind.
And lets face it the owner has to die sometime and then the heirs may be more agreeable. smile

I hope to take action on my own words this year.

Take care,
Posted By: PFC

Re: The Reedy Island Range Rear Light Station - 02/07/04 03:42 AM

Seagirt - The lighthouse is still owned by the Coast Guard but the Delaware River and Bay Lighthouse Foundation is negotiating a lease with the Coast Guard to ensure the preservation of this light.

By the way Greg it was nice meeting you at Lighthouses, Hot Chocolate and You! What a great lighthouse event! smile laugh cool

All my best,
Paul Conlin
Acting Secretary,
ALF
© 2024 Collector Forums