LighthouseKeepers.com

HL's and temperature changes

Posted By: Bigbird

HL's and temperature changes - 09/23/05 06:50 PM

Since I haven't been in my apartment over a winter, I have a question about radiator heat and the pieces; if you have a guard around the fins that you can rest your hands on and (at least when she had the heat on in early May for a few evenings - and my landlord says she doesn't adjust it...just off and on) not get burnt, just a warm feeling, how far away and much concern should I place on my pieces. I do have ltd space remember.

Steve
Posted By: rscroope

Re: HL's and temperature changes - 09/23/05 08:36 PM

I've had the same thought about garage storage. The styrofoam inserts are a pretty good r-factor.lol Has anyone done this in a non climate control storage area?
Posted By: Bob M

Re: HL's and temperature changes - 09/24/05 01:21 PM

All my extra HL's are stored in my basement in my boiler room. I do have a dehumidifier in the cellar and the temperature remains around 70-72 degrees.

Your concern about temperature changes should focus on drastic changes that may produce condensation. Condensation, if left unchecked, can produce mold. Mold is the last thing you want on your HL's and their boxes.

smile Bob smile
Posted By: Bigbird

Re: HL's and temperature changes - 09/24/05 01:48 PM

So basically the gradual temp swings in an inside environment should not affect the pieces? I used to have some of them sitting on top of the radiator on a shelf about 8 or 10 inches above, but now they are sitting 3-6" in front of the heat source on a plant-type stand and an end table, and this is the old water generated "true" radiator heat source like in old houses. Didn't want sides fading or peeling or whatever.

Steve
© 2024 Collector Forums