LighthouseKeepers.com

Sue's Surgery

Posted By: WackoPaul

Sue's Surgery - 01/13/11 03:40 PM

My lovely wife Sue is going to have surgery next Tuesday 1/18. Her right thigh has been hurting for several months. She has been limping around and saying it was getting better. I finally made her to go the doctor last week. An x-ray showed a stress fracture of her femur (thigh bone) typical of one using long term bisphosphonates (She has been taking Fosamax for 7-8 yrs). She had no trauma to cause this fracture. Sue saw the Orthopedic MD last Friday. The stress fracture in her femur is midshaft and horizontally across the entire bone. She is at risk of it snapping in two at any time. That would result in a very nasty break and emergency surgery. So, the remedy is to put a rod into her femur and of course discontinuing the Fosamax.

Also, she was told to walk as little as possible and to use a walker when she does to keep weight off the femur. Surgery is scheduled for Tuesday 1/18. Sue told me she was going to milk this for all it is worth!!! I have learned how to use the dishwasher, clean the cat litter box, and do laundry for starters.

If any of you gals are taking Fosamax or other bisphosphonates, Sue says be warned by this. Many cases are being seen with long term use of these drugs. These drugs may improve bone density but evidently the composition of the new bone is more brittle.
Posted By: The Cape Cod Store.com

Re: Sue's Surgery - 01/13/11 05:20 PM

Good luck to Sue. Hope all goes well with both the surgery and the new maid!
Posted By: Lighthouse Loon

Re: Sue's Surgery - 01/13/11 05:45 PM

Best wishes for Sue's surgery, and hope she takes all the time she needs to feel 100% !!!

Paul, good luck with the housework !!!
Posted By: MelJB

Re: Sue's Surgery - 01/13/11 05:54 PM

Best wishes for a sucessful surgery and speedy recovery Sue! What is the general recovery time? Hopefully well before the cruise.

And many thanks for the heads up regarding Fosamax. While I do not have to take this medication, I do have several friends that have been on it for a good number of years.
Posted By: HCS

Re: Sue's Surgery - 01/13/11 06:05 PM

Sue, will be thinking of you on Tuesday, wishing you a speedy recovery.
Paul, Good luck with the housekeeping, I'm sure you'll do fine!
Posted By: Webmaster

Re: Sue's Surgery - 01/13/11 08:34 PM

My thoughts and Prayers are with Sue, her doctors and with you, Paul.
Posted By: flacoastie

Re: Sue's Surgery - 01/13/11 09:45 PM

We will have you and Sue in our prayers and what about the ironing, vaccuming, dusting, etc.?
Posted By: kory63

Re: Sue's Surgery - 01/13/11 10:21 PM

My good thoughts and prayers go out to Sue for a successful surgery and recovery!
AND to Paul's becoming a successful "house husband"!
Rick
Posted By: Dave H

Re: Sue's Surgery - 01/14/11 02:23 AM

Sue will certainly be in our thoughts and prayers (as well as the cats . . .) Really good thing that Paul made Sue go to the doc and they quickly sorted out the situation.

I wonder if Sue will have some serious catching up to do when her recovery is complete???
Posted By: wvlights0

Re: Sue's Surgery - 01/14/11 12:20 PM

Be tough Sue. I will be praying for you both.

Re: Sue's Surgery - 01/14/11 02:04 PM

Sue and I thank all of you for your thoughts and prayers for next Tuesday... Sue especially wanted to get the word out about the possible side effects of taking this drug to help others prevent this from happening to them..

The good news, Rich is that my niece already comes every two weeks to do the vacuuming, dusting and such, in fact she will be here today..
Posted By: rscroope

Re: Sue's Surgery - 01/14/11 02:19 PM

Our thoughts and prayers are with you guys, and a quick recovery for your ambitious summer trip.
- Bob & MaryAnn
Posted By: Middle I-land MI Max

Re: Sue's Surgery - 01/14/11 07:06 PM

Thinking of you Sue down south of us and sending our hope for your successful surgery and recovery period. Sorry to hear of your experience with Fosamax. With all our snow and cold this winter, you probably won't miss being outdoors this winter much as you recover. Maybe you can supervise Paul's snow and ice removal efforts.

Max & Sue
Posted By: Rrronne

Re: Sue's Surgery - 01/14/11 07:50 PM

Linda and I will be praying for a successful surgery and a complication free recovery Sue.
Paul we will praying for you as well as you shepard Sue through her recovery.
Posted By: JJ

Re: Sue's Surgery - 01/14/11 11:34 PM

Just saw this thread and wanted to wish Sue the best in her surgery. Hang in there Paul, you can do it :)
Posted By: Cana Fan

Re: Sue's Surgery - 01/18/11 07:52 PM

Sue, here's wishing you a speedy recovery so you can get back on the lighthouse road!

MW
Posted By: keeperpam2

Re: Sue's Surgery - 01/18/11 08:17 PM

Thinking about you today Sue and Paul.

Re: Sue's Surgery - 01/19/11 12:37 AM

Sue wanted me to let you know that she came through her surgery with flying colors.. The Surgeon said everything went very well! She is of course tired but not in any pain at least yet.. They have already started her PT and tomorrow morning they will get her up and have her walking some.. She may even be able to come home tomorrow if everything goes well..

Thank you for all of your prayers..

Paul L Brady (a very relieved hubby)...
Posted By: Dave H

Re: Sue's Surgery - 01/19/11 02:36 AM

Very good news, Paul. Glad that Sue has done well so far. She may decide she enjoys the break and ask to stay in the hospital for another day or so . . .
Posted By: Lighthouse Loon

Re: Sue's Surgery - 01/19/11 02:40 AM

Great News !!!
Posted By: flacoastie

Re: Sue's Surgery - 01/19/11 04:08 AM

We're really glad for Sue and you and here's hoping for a very speedy recovery for both of you. Sue's rehabilitation and your concern for her during this period.
Posted By: Bob M

Re: Sue's Surgery - 01/19/11 12:20 PM

Sorry to hear of Sue's health issues. Wishing her a very speedy recovery!

:) Bob
Posted By: HCS

Re: Sue's Surgery - 01/19/11 05:11 PM

That's wonderfull - wish Sue a speedy recovery!

Re: Sue's Surgery - 01/19/11 05:22 PM

Excellent news to hear Sue is doing well after her surgery! Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Oh, Paul, I guess you know you can stop holding your breath - I am sure you are very relieved. Take care!
Posted By: rscroope

Re: Sue's Surgery - 01/19/11 06:08 PM

Wonderful News!
all the best Paul & Sue!

Re: Sue's Surgery - 01/19/11 06:52 PM

What a world we live in today, I am in Sue's hospital room right now.. They provide a Ethernet connection in the rooms and wi-fi in the waiting room areas..

She is doing really well today and still has no pain and was up walking and doing PT including stairs this morning.. I brought my laptop so she could do her email and answer all of the good wishes she has received..
Posted By: keeperpam2

Re: Sue's Surgery - 01/19/11 07:27 PM

Wow, up walking AND doing stairs the day after surgery is truly remarkable!

Keep up the great work Sue!

Re: Sue's Surgery - 01/19/11 07:51 PM

Great News, Paul! Good Job, Sue!
Posted By: kory63

Re: Sue's Surgery - 01/20/11 01:21 AM

Great news! Best wishes for a speedy recovery!
Rick

Re: Sue's Surgery - 01/20/11 02:20 AM

Sue and I just arrived home from the hospital.. The Dr. said she is doing great and let me bring her home ahead of a snow storm hitting Indy tomorrow!!
Posted By: MrsTLC

Re: Sue's Surgery - 01/20/11 06:44 AM

Glad to hear that Sue is home and recovering in your loving hands Paul...I know you will take very good care of her.
Posted By: Cana Fan

Re: Sue's Surgery - 01/20/11 04:24 PM

Sounds like she'll be ready to be climbing lighthouses again in no time. Great news on such great results.

MW

Re: Sue's Surgery - 01/20/11 09:34 PM

I always found that I rested better home in my own bed than in the hospital. No nurses waking you up the the middle of the night to take your temperature or blood pressure.

All kidding aside, glad you were able to go home Sue!

Re: Sue's Surgery - 01/20/11 11:55 PM

I hope this 'early release' doesn't release Paul from the responsibilities of babying Sue during this time of recovery. violin

Re: Sue's Surgery - 01/21/11 12:40 AM

It intensifies them John, her home physical therapist visited today and put her through her paces and taught her what to do and what not to do.. Instant follow up with her here at home.
Posted By: Bill and Judy

Re: Sue's Surgery - 01/22/11 09:08 PM

Take care, Sue and get well. You're in our thoughts and prayers for a complete recovery.

See you in Seattle.

Judy & Bill
© 2024 Collector Forums