LighthouseKeepers.com

which is your dream lighthouse

Posted By: Lighthouse Duo

which is your dream lighthouse - 06/17/07 12:14 PM

I have been thinking for a long time, about a dream ... If I won a lot of money, I would love to build a relpica of a lighthouse for my home.

My dream one to copy would be Old Mission Point Lighthouse, MI. I think it is such a lovely building. At least on the outside.

Not seen the inside, but I guess I could make that work for us too.

I fell in love with this little building, when I saw HL236 and have looked at many photographs since.

And if I can't have Old Mission Point, maybe Point Fermin (CA) would do smile I have seen this one inside and out and it is a beautiful building. And the location is just about perfect too!

Which lighthouse would you like to build / buy / live in if you could?
Posted By: ericlighthouse

Re: which is your dream lighthouse - 06/17/07 02:46 PM

If it was ever for sale, Old Cape Henry. Second choice might be Wolf Trap since I did get the bid package for it when it was up for sale, but my hope of a rock bottom price did not happen. I would also like Carysfort Reef Lighthouse down in South Florida.
Posted By: Lighthouser

Re: which is your dream lighthouse - 06/17/07 03:53 PM

If I were to have one built for my yard (lawn lighthouse replica) it would be Bodie Island, NC.

I have worked at Bodie Island, raised funds there, met for the first time some very special friends there, and have photographed this lightstation from all angles, during every season and during all types of lighting, dawn, dusk, storms and in-between.

I have even had the opportunity to climb Bodie several times (a rarity to most) and view that magnificant first order up close and personal.

Bodie Island is my #1 favorite of all lighthouses...my dream lighthouse.

Close to the #1 are Point Judith, RI; Old Point Comfort, VA; Ocracoke, NC, and after our recent LI trip, I'd have to add Fire Island, NY.

If I could own any of these or - just live nearby, I would be in heaven on earth.

Judy
Posted By: Lighthouse Loon

Re: which is your dream lighthouse - 06/17/07 05:41 PM

Mine should be a reality in a year or two.

We plan on putting in a pool in the backyard and want to landscape with a large replica of Barnegat Light, possible to house the pool pump and heater. laugh cool smile
Posted By: Weasel58

Re: which is your dream lighthouse - 06/17/07 07:25 PM

My favorite light is Bodie Island, but if I was going to have a lighthouse built to live in it would be patterned after White River or San Louis Obispo.
Posted By: WackoPaul

Re: which is your dream lighthouse - 06/17/07 07:27 PM

Split Rock Lighthouse, MN, location, location, location...

Re: which is your dream lighthouse - 06/17/07 08:04 PM

Well, Paul, you can't argue that location ... Or would you prefer this for the view from your window:

This is the view from one of the rooms of the Pt. Fermin lighthouse ... and this one includes CA weather wink

I love the diversity of "dream lighthouses" ... Stan, your idea of the "feature pump house" is brilliant!!!!

And Eric, if you ever get Wolf Trap, can I come and visit? I'd love to see that one!
Posted By: flacoastie

Re: which is your dream lighthouse - 06/17/07 08:16 PM

I guess mine would be the Erie Land Light and second choice would be Currituck.
Posted By: Lighthouse Ghost

Re: which is your dream lighthouse - 06/18/07 05:15 PM

Heceta Head Oregon
Posted By: Rrronne

Re: which is your dream lighthouse - 06/18/07 06:21 PM

Southeast Block Island, RI

or

Split Rock, MN
Posted By: rgurskey

Re: which is your dream lighthouse - 06/18/07 07:02 PM

I've always been fond of Mathias Point Shoal Light. I don't think I would paint it all white, but I do like the two-level hexagonal design. And I would have it up on stilts (parking underneath).

Re: which is your dream lighthouse - 06/18/07 07:32 PM

Quote:
(parking underneath).
What a good idea applaud
Posted By: Bruce and Judy

Re: which is your dream lighthouse - 06/18/07 09:59 PM

There have been some very good lighthouses mentioned.
We have to agree with Margret on Point Fermin, but after the 2005 collectors reunion we can add Old Michigan City Light as one of our favorites.

Probably the number one lighthouse on our list would Battery Point Light in northern California with the beautiful location and lighthouse interior. Take a look at the Lighthouse Friends website to see some pictures of what we enjoy about Battery Point.
Posted By: Weasel58

Re: which is your dream lighthouse - 06/18/07 11:45 PM

I was at Battery Point earlier this year, and was talking to the couple that lives there. Here is how they got the job: They were in Crescent City just driving up the coast on vacation when they saw the sign for the lighthouse and decided to stop and visit. Being from Colorado they did not know anything about lighthouses. They got to talking to the docent and he told them the Museum was looking for live in caretakers. So they decided to apply! They got the job and moved to Battery Point. Up till that point they had never had any experience with lighthouses or museums. Talk about being in the right place at the right time. anger
Posted By: AZpharologist

Re: which is your dream lighthouse - 06/19/07 03:42 AM

I am thinking international, My favorite to duplicate would be Cloch pont nera Glasgow Scotland Art ;^)

Re: which is your dream lighthouse - 06/19/07 08:46 AM

Wow, I wish I had been at Battery Point at the right time. That would be a nice place to live!!
Posted By: Danny

Re: which is your dream lighthouse - 06/19/07 11:06 PM

Extant lighthouses:

Southeast Block Island
Coquille River
Old Mackinac Point
Squaw Island

Vanished lighthouses:

Cleveland Light Station

Now, we are assuming that we don't have to live in each and every one of these places in their original sites!? I'm not fond of cold weather.

Danny

Re: which is your dream lighthouse - 06/20/07 08:47 AM

Quote:
Now, we are assuming that we don't have to live in each and every one of these places in their original sites!? I'm not fond of cold weather.
No Danny, you don't need to suffer the cold. The presumption was, you would build a replica.

I like your choices. Especially Old Mackinac Point
. But as you say... not in its current location. wink
Posted By: DANIEL

Re: which is your dream lighthouse - 06/20/07 03:29 PM

Good topic.
This is a fresh and new discussion. I do not think anyone has brought up this subject before.

Well if I was going to live in the lighthouse, it would have to roomy. I am surprised nobody has said these yet, especially Rich.

My favorite lighthouse replicate to live in (with my wife in mind) would be
St Augustine
Then St Simons.
And I would live in them right where they are.

My third choice, because of the Kid in me, is Navesink. I love that castle look.
Posted By: ericlighthouse

Re: which is your dream lighthouse - 06/21/07 02:35 PM

Margret, if I ever own Wolf Trap, just send me an email and we will make plans. In fact all lighthouse people would be invited and then some.

Can't see this happening right now, but maybe one day.

Re: which is your dream lighthouse - 06/21/07 02:47 PM

Quote:
And I would live in them right where they are.
Yes Daniel, but I would have to emigrate ... I'd love to live in Pt. Fermin on teh CA coast... sigh... but it is a long way from England wink As is my dream building Old Mission Point.
Posted By: 5lights

Re: which is your dream lighthouse - 06/21/07 06:29 PM

That's a tough one to decide...there are so many that I wouldn't mind living in!
I checked out Braddock Point Light seeing that it is for sale. I think I could handle living there! Roomy, great renovations, and check out the room with the view! Breakfast inside or out on the patio with the lake only a few feet away...AWESOME!
Posted By: CAVR

Re: which is your dream lighthouse - 06/22/07 12:48 AM

Great Topic!

My pick is a no brainer for me.....

Mark Island Light, Winter Harbor, Maine

I missed buying this light with a nice little island situated near the Schoodic Peninsula section of Acadia National Park a few years ago when it was for sale. The problem was, that I didn't have a cool $1.5 million to buy it since I was in graduate school. Not a bad price though since the original asking price was $2.5 million. Worth every cent!!!!

A HL LE replica would be a lot more affordable, if HL would every get around to making one. (hint hint) bow

Next time I'll be ready (yeah right).... Nice topic.... its fun to dream. I don't think people dream much in today's society..... who's got the money?
Posted By: Cyndi

Re: which is your dream lighthouse - 07/04/07 02:18 PM

My choices would have to be St Augustine or Pt Fermin.
Posted By: Beaconfollower

Re: which is your dream lighthouse - 07/05/07 10:11 PM

How about Fire Island, now there's a great one
to copy and live in. applaud
Posted By: warmlittlediamond

Re: which is your dream lighthouse - 07/16/07 08:11 AM

Okay, mine definitely would be Nubble Light.
Posted By: Tybee_Sullivan

Re: which is your dream lighthouse - 03/16/08 10:01 PM

Haig Point. Its already a fully furnished 3 bedroom house, and its right on the water. Just across the sound is Harbour Town.

But, I think the light I'd like to have a replica of would be Tybee Island. I think that is my favorite based on what I've seen so far. Something about that lighthouse, and I don't know what it is.

I'm also looking forward to seeing Bodie Island in 2 weeks. It seems to be several people's favorite. I've seen pictures, and it does have a certain mystique to it.

Re: which is your dream lighthouse - 03/16/08 11:39 PM

Oooohhh good to see this coming back to the top, because I changed my mind again wink

I would love to live in the Old Point Loma Lighthouse. It is just big enough for us and there is a fantastic view! And it is nice and close to our daughter Sue and her family! And to our friend Kim... In fact the old thing about "Location Location Location" fits well here!!!!
Posted By: silverfox51

Re: which is your dream lighthouse - 03/17/08 07:24 PM

I was born and raised on the west coast and did a lot of camping and beach activities growing up. Mine would be Big Sur. It's on the water and lots of redwoods around. Nothing smells quite as good as Redwoods with the tinge of salt in the air from the surf.
Posted By: seagirt

Re: which is your dream lighthouse - 03/17/08 11:04 PM

I don't seem to have replied here...so here's mine.

Contrary to what you'd think, it's really not Sea Girt. Much as I love the lighthouse dearly, the location wouldn't be great. Small lot, right in the middle of the busiest part of Sea Girt, and plus, I want it to stay open to the public!

Mine, instead, would be Morgan Point in Connecticut. I was fortunate to visit this light in January 2004 on a NELL trip. It's been completely rebuilt inside, with a balance of original and modern. And there's a beautiful addition out the back with all the modern fixings, from a nice master bedroom to an office in a turret to a great room with a huge cathedral ceiling. The original structure had a kind of wet bar/lounge room, a few bedrooms, and the tower, which has an enlarged lantern with views over the entrance to the Mystic River.

I wish I'd taken pictures inside to share of the light, but it's absolutely stunning. The only disadvantage is that it's a bit far from NYC...but of course, that's what the apartment in the Dakota will be for. laugh

Re: which is your dream lighthouse - 03/18/08 12:09 AM

Greg, how about a replica of the SeaGirt light somewhere more convenient? wink
© 2024 Collector Forums