LighthouseKeepers.com

Where, Oh Where did My PhotoPoint Go?

Posted By: RFoster

Where, Oh Where did My PhotoPoint Go? - 12/18/01 03:56 AM

I notice that my images (as well as some of those that others have posted) on the Forums have disappeared. I tried getting into my PhotoPoint account, but to no avail.

Does anyone know why this is or have suggestions as to "other" places where images may be uploaded for storage?

Ron
(CT Keeper)
Posted By: Bob M

Re: Where, Oh Where did My PhotoPoint Go? - 12/18/01 01:35 PM

I can't help you out with that one, Ron. The only place I store photos for Net display is on AOL's "My FTP" space.
Is Photopoint having problems?

Bob
Posted By: Naders

Re: Where, Oh Where did My PhotoPoint Go? - 12/18/01 11:16 PM

I don't use photopoint, but I did read this article a few days ago. http://www.dpreview.com/news/0112/01121501photopointagain.asp

Re: Where, Oh Where did My PhotoPoint Go? - 12/19/01 04:42 AM

Thank you both for responding. The article on Naders link is very interesting. Looks like the financial Crunch-Bug may have hit them again.

If any of you use "other" services please post them here. Thanks for the help.

Ron
(CT Keeper)

[This message has been edited by RFoster (edited 12-18-2001).]

Re: Where, Oh Where did My PhotoPoint Go? - 12/19/01 06:46 PM

Here's another new link in regards to Photopoint and Epson. http://www.dpreview.com/news/0112/01121901epsonpcdown.asp

Doesn't look very good for anyone that has been using Photopoint.
Posted By: Shirin

Re: Where, Oh Where did My PhotoPoint Go? - 12/19/01 08:03 PM

Hey Ron,

The suggested substitute for Photopoint, ezprints.com seems to work ok. It was much easier to post a test pic with that service than with snapfish.com. It's no Photopoint but it will work if you want to share photos with others.

shirin

Re: Where, Oh Where did My PhotoPoint Go? - 12/19/01 08:59 PM

dotphoto.com works as well. Has a free and amonthly service charge option

shirin
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Where, Oh Where did My PhotoPoint Go? - 12/20/01 12:55 AM

http://www.clubphoto.com/

Ron, I use this service and have no complaints.

terry

Re: Where, Oh Where did My PhotoPoint Go? - 12/20/01 03:25 AM

You folks are the best. Thank you all for the help. I will have some new images posted here in the near future.

Ron
(CT Keeper)
Posted By: mombo

Re: Where, Oh Where did My PhotoPoint Go? - 12/23/01 06:45 AM

Does anyone know of a service that accepts regular scanned photos?

Re: Where, Oh Where did My PhotoPoint Go? - 01/06/02 12:39 AM

Another update to the story.
http://www.msnbc.com/news/682016.asp?0dm=C14KT

Re: Where, Oh Where did My PhotoPoint Go? - 01/06/02 02:56 AM

Thanks Naders for the link. Folks,please,have a backup system for storing those pics. Albums,CDs,whatever. Some things can`t be replaced.

terry

Re: Where, Oh Where did My PhotoPoint Go? - 01/14/02 07:42 AM

In case anyone's still interested, here's one more article, in which the president of Photopoint finally speaks.
http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/cn/20020107/tc/photopoint_parent_shutters_operations_1.html

Re: Where, Oh Where did My PhotoPoint Go? - 01/15/02 02:42 AM

I hope the customers can get their pics back.

terry

Re: Where, Oh Where did My PhotoPoint Go? - 01/17/02 07:14 AM

Thanks Naders. Fortunately, I do have backups of my albums that were on PhotoPoint.

Ron
Posted By: Bob M

Re: Where, Oh Where did My PhotoPoint Go? - 01/17/02 02:13 PM

Interesting article, Naders. Thank you for sharing it with us.

I never used Photopoint. The pictures I have are usually saved on disk. I use my AOL FTP Space for those photos I post on the Net. I also use two cameras for important pictures, my digital and my regular format camera. I don't have the equipment to print out quality photos from disk.

I feel bad for those people that Photopoint left hanging. It was unfair of Photopoint to not warn their customers ahead of time.

Bob

Re: Where, Oh Where did My PhotoPoint Go? - 02/22/02 12:34 AM

Updated: Wed Feb 13 13:48:37 AST 2002
PhotoPoint.com is currently offline.

Please check back here (www.photopoint.com) for further developments.

I would like to assure people that their photos have not been lost, and are safe. However, due to the bandwidth, hardware, and labour costs, we are unable to put the site online. Pantellic Software is insolvent, and had no choice but to close it's offices and lay off all employees on December 15th.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please take a moment to answer this survey. Only surveys with valid PhotoPoint username/password will be considered. Your first submission is the only one that will be taken into account. Please answer honestly, so we can do what is best for the membership.

Your responses will be summarized to determine the level of interest in the different options. Any attempt to use the fields to send comments will result in your submission being invalidated and discarded.

This information will be useful in determining how best to move forward in allowing people to possibly get their photos back and/or have their photos online again. We are looking at various options for finding PhotoPoint members a new home.

Thank you for your feedback.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Email address:
Password:

If PhotoPoint is not able to come back online, I would be interested in getting a CD-ROM of my Photos, for $24.95 plus shipping:
Yes
No

If PhotoPoint is able to come back online, I would be willing to pay $5.95 per month for the service:
Yes
No

eBay photo hosting, or the ability to host photos pointed to by third party web sites is:
Not important to me, and I would still be interested in the service.
Essential to me, and I would not subscribe unless this were available.

Please notify me via email if you are able to
Posted By: Medicman

Re: Where, Oh Where did My PhotoPoint Go? - 02/22/02 06:51 AM

I had an account with PhotoPoint.. I had a PAID account for one year of service which I didn't get. You want to know if I might give them MORE money???? No Way Buddy. There were some pics I'd like to get back... but I'm not going to pay to do it. They ought to just give them back for FREE!!!
I don't like giving out passwords... but to prove I had an account.. and seeing that PP is in the shitter already....
acct:danhauer@henderson.net
password: *****

$25.00 for a cd ??? NO
$ 5.95 a month ??? NO (did that already and didn't get what I paid for... not going to repeat it)
Is photo hosting important to me???
well... I've survived without it.

[This message has been edited by Medicman (edited 02-22-2002).]
Posted By: 1of3trees@prodigy.net

Re: Where, Oh Where did My PhotoPoint Go? - 02/22/02 07:04 AM

Other places where you can have photo albums is www.NikonNet.com, www.webphotos.com, www.photoworks.com and there are others, too, but just can't remember the names of them right now.

------------------
Terry (Only my mother, brothers & sisters call me Teresa) Forrest

Re: Where, Oh Where did My PhotoPoint Go? - 03/05/02 01:52 AM

Here's the latest from Photopoint.com

Update: Sun Mar 3 18:12:17 AST 2002
We have arranged for having members' accounts burned to CD. Online orders for these CD's at should be available here some time this week. Pricing will be $24.95 plus shipping and C.O.D. charges. Please stay tuned.
© 2024 Collector Forums