Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Some new options with UBB 5.42a #43497 01/29/00 05:12 PM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
There are some new options I've not implemented yet, but want to see what others think.

These each apply to what is displayed under the username for each post the user makes. Currently the only thing displayed is the 'membership status'. The default settings are 'Junior Member' and 'Member' a Junior Member is someone who has posted fewer than an arbitrary number of times after which they automatically achieve 'Member' status. I have set this number at 50 posts. Additionally, I have given the names 'Newbie' and 'Wacko' in lieu of 'Junior Member' and 'Member'.

I'm not inclined to change these names since we've had a lot of fun with them. But I do see some who feel that when a person with a 'higher title' posts that person's opinion seems to be given more weight because of their title. This is certainly not the case.

Perhaps one person's opinion carries more weight because of their knowledge of Harbour Lights or their length of collecting, but it has nothing to do with the number of posts they've made.

One solution might be that the 'title' does NOT display below the user name for each post. You could still click on the profile (sunglasses) and see anyone's number of posts and their 'newbie' or 'wacko' status.

A 'Cruise Director' is someone who is serving as a 'Moderator' (the official name) for one or more forums. This 'title' would also not be displayed below the poster's username under the option above. Should this title revert to 'Moderator'? the new version also permits multiple moderators for each forum. Should some forums have more than one moderator?

A 'Saint' is someone who is serving as an 'Administrator' (the official name). An Administrator has control over all the forums. While some 'Saints' exercise that control, others are more 'honorary' based on their contribution to the content of the Forums. Their 'title' would also not be displayed under their username under the option above.

So would removing all titles make the forums more equalitarian? Is that what things should be (more equalitarian?)

Optionally, I can force the display of the following items below the username of each post:
  • location (one you put in your profile)
  • date registered for the forums
  • total number of posts

Each of these changes would take effect for ALL posts in the future -- but would also show up for all past posts. It seems that displaying the number of posts isn't much different than showing the 'membership level'. But what do you think?

How about displaying where you are from?

OK. Now if you'd rather email me your thoughts privately, feel free to do so.

Re: Some new options with UBB 5.42a #43498 01/29/00 06:53 PM
L
Lighthouse Ghost Offline
L
John, It seems, after reading your above post and the posts concerning the Wacko pin of the past few days, that many people are having a problem with the various titles in this forum. I think everyone needs to LIGHTEN UP!!! I have been around on these forums in some form or fashion since the AOL days. I believe the Saint titles are well deserved to those who possess them. And if I am not mistaken, Cruise Directors have their titles because they volunteered. As for newbies and wackos...its simply a matter of a number of posts. Almost anywhere you go on the internet to a forum or chat room, if you haven't been there often or participated ofter, you will be a newbie. Personally I don't think the terms newbie and wacko intimdate anyone to the point that they don't post. Being a naturally shy and timid individual by nature, I don't post that often nor do I speak that much when I am at a chat, I prefer to listen because I learn so much more that way!!! I think that most newbies might be initially intimidated because of the number of people who regularly post here. They might be afraid that they will be made fun of or not taken seriously. If they are shy, its just hard to simply get started. As for the chats, it can be hard to follow and it can seem at times like you are lost in a crowd. I guess what I am trying to say is that I don't think you should change the way things display John. Its worked wonderfully up till now and I think it will continue to do so. However, if the majority consensus is that the titles are wrong and divisive, then the only fair thing would be not to display any titles at all.

Thats my opinion FWIW.

Lighthouse Ghost

Re: Some new options with UBB 5.42a #43499 01/29/00 10:43 PM
Jim Chesher Offline
John,
If you had asked the question of whether or not to list the titles in the posts last week, it would not have even been an issue. I expect that most everyone would have said to leave them. Only as a result of the "Wacko Pin" postings has this become an issue. I say leave them in, the world is not "equaltarian". Additionally I would like to see location added below ones name. It is always interesting to see the breadth of interest throughout the country and world.

Re: Some new options with UBB 5.42a #43500 01/29/00 10:53 PM
J
Joanne Offline
J
I have no problem with the titles. I think it's fine the way it is, although an honorary title to a female, might be nice.

Joanne

Re: Some new options with UBB 5.42a #43501 01/29/00 11:12 PM
N
Nana Offline
N
The addition of the location of the poster would be interesting to see.

As far as the other, leave it as is. From the very beginning I have had a super time trying to put in posts and reaching the "Wacko" status. I don't have any desire to be a cruise director or saint---I don't have the personal time to devote the hours it must require, even if I wanted to. The word moderator might be the answer for those who are intimidated but I don't have a problem with Saint or Cruise Director. If we have been regulars we should have know what those titles meant and if we were new, we should have inquired as to their meaning.

Each individual forum member has the option to post or not to post. None of the others had a clue who I was when I began posting. I, in turn, had no clue to the postings of others I had never met face to face. My opinion is decided by me. Reading other posts can give you information but I think each person should make up their own mind about issues. If I feel strongly about something I will reiterate my position or email the poster personally. Another poster doesn't intimidate me-UNLESS-I let them.

Hope this is not a far off tangent.

Derith

Re: Some new options with UBB 5.42a #43502 01/30/00 01:49 AM
R
Rod Watson Offline
Saint
Saint
R
My only comment would be to lose the "Saint" title, and just rename it "Cruise Director" too. We would still have control of the full administrative functions, and help with the Forums as we always have, but there would be one less title distinction to deal with here.

Re: Some new options with UBB 5.42a #43503 01/30/00 02:10 AM
Webmaster Offline OP
Saint
OP Offline
Saint
Sorry Rod, but the Administrator title must be different from the Moderator title.

Re: Some new options with UBB 5.42a #43504 01/30/00 02:53 AM
Dave H Offline
Saint
Saint
I don't mind having the status displayed. In fact, in some cases it may be to the benefit of the new user, as people seem to jump in with help quickly when a "Newbie" asks a question. Gets them a little more slack when they ask the same question that was discussed a couple months ago. Often someone will post the link to help them get up to speed.

Something all must remember is that some of the older discussions will truly be a thing of the past in the near future. Even if a new visitor was ambitious enought to try to wade through all the old posts, some will no longer be there.

I like the idea of displaying the posters' location. It may help bring some more unity when you see a poster from your vicinity. It has frustrated me when I go to profiles to try to learn a little more about someone and get "United States" or similar.

Dave

Re: Some new options with UBB 5.42a #43505 01/30/00 08:08 PM
lmyhre Offline
Wacko
Wacko
I don't care what you call me or whether my "title" is shown. However, like some others, I am somewhat of a quiet person and generally listen more than I talk. My posts are the same. Just because I'm a "Newbie" doesn't mean I'm a newcomer or neophyte collector. I have been a registerd forum member for a long time and have been collecting HLs since 1996 and a lighthouse enthusiast for many years. So, perhaps a different title other than "Newbie" would be more appropriate.

Also, I think showing everyones location would be a great idea. Who knows, some of you could be my neighbors and we wouldn't even know.

Larry

Re: Some new options with UBB 5.42a #43506 01/30/00 08:59 PM
Digger Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
If it was good enough in the past and good enough now then it will be good enough in the future. A title is a title, and nothing more. It's the person above the title that counts. Locations would be super! If climbing up the ladder was important, I'd been out of this hole a long time ago!

Digger

Re: Some new options with UBB 5.42a #43507 01/31/00 10:55 AM
rscroope Offline
Saint
Saint
It ain't broke why fix it?
Isn't this Forum suppose to be fun?
Enhancements are great but so are traditions!

LONG ISLAND BOB
Re: Some new options with UBB 5.42a #43508 01/31/00 01:56 PM
D
ddaniels Offline
Wacko
Wacko
D
Call me anything; just don't call me late for dinner!

Things are fine the way they are.

Dave

Re: Some new options with UBB 5.42a #43509 02/01/00 03:12 AM
J
JTimothyA Offline
Saint
Saint
J
Here on Planet Fresnel, theres a little Say Aint in all of us.

Say Aint Choo a Buckeye, Rod? :-)

__
/im

Re: Some new options with UBB 5.42a #43510 02/01/00 04:45 AM
Art Offline
Where ya been, Tim? Good to have you back.

-Art
Re: Some new options with UBB 5.42a #43511 02/02/00 12:53 AM
J
JTimothyA Offline
Saint
Saint
J
uh, last time I checked, I was right here.

Rgds,
Babba Rum Raisin

Moderated by  Dave H 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,980
Posts184,643
Members2,583
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 1,253 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
coloradolights, PortageRivrLight, DenizensofDeep, Rtubbs, SafeHarbor
2583 Registered Users