Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Little Sable Light, Michigan #26818 08/20/98 03:16 PM
A
Al and Kathy Offline OP
OP Offline
A
This is the light that got me interested in lighthouses - many, many years ago. They were working on it the last time I visited it. It's a red brick tower - the keepers' house is long gone.

Re: Little Sable Light, Michigan #26819 08/25/98 08:28 PM
Bill Harnsberger Offline
I think Little Sable would be great (although not before Harbour Lights makes a few more Maine lights )

Little Sable is the tallest tower in Michigan. I think it would be great if Harbour Lights did a series of the two Sable Lights (Big and Little) because Big Sable is also a very nice light. It just got a major facelift.

Little Sable would also make a nice "Then" and "Now" piece, because, just like with Morris Island, there is NO sign of the keeper's house. I wonder what it used to look like.

Anyhow...good choice. Bill, Kim...are you reading this?

Re: Little Sable Light, Michigan #26820 09/02/98 11:04 PM
Jenifer Selwa Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I would love to see Little Sable as well. I have a gorgeous picture I took of it about three years ago late afternoon and it hangs as a 24x36 print in my living room. Has anyone seen Big Sable since they have redone it? What a major difference from the way it was! And the construction of the new seawall will help as well.

-Jen (fellow Michigander)

Re: Little Sable Light, Michigan #26821 09/02/98 11:29 PM
A
Al and Kathy Offline OP
OP Offline
A
There's a restaurant in Silver Lake that has pictures of the keeper's house for Little Sable. Can't even remember the name of the restaurant, but there sure aren't many there. Would be easy to find. There are many great pictures of that lighthouse especially with the sun going down.

Re: Little Sable Light, Michigan #26822 09/04/98 07:16 PM
Todd Shorkey Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
I visited Big and Little Sable this summer and took many great photos. Big Sable looks great after the work that was put into it, and is a beautiful sight as it starts to come into view as you complete the 1.5 mile walk out to the lighthouse. We missed a tour of the keepers quarters and tower by one day and were greatly disappointed.

I also have pictures from my childhood of being at Little Sable Point when the tower was painted White.

Re: Little Sable Light, Michigan #26823 09/13/98 10:13 PM
Jenifer Selwa Offline
Super Wacko
Super Wacko
When my husband and I walked out to Big Sable this summer, we did it from the back way - through the trail system, so we came through the woods and out to the dunes. What a perspective, and a sight for sore eyes, especially when it is hot out there! We have been inside twice. The first time was when they first opened it two years ago, and then again this year. They are looking for volunteers now to alternate weeks and help staff it during the summer and in return I think you get to stay in the lighthouse. What a dream if I had the time!

Jen

Moderated by  Shortcake 

Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics16,980
Posts184,643
Members2,583
Most Online10,155
Jan 14th, 2020
Who's Online Now
1 registered members (Rock), 887 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
coloradolights, PortageRivrLight, DenizensofDeep, Rtubbs, SafeHarbor
2583 Registered Users